Saturday, January 8, 2011

"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" w/out the N-Word


Long before I became a scholar, I was a black teenage boy. At that time, I would never have enjoyed hearing my English teacher repeat the N-word 219 times out loud in front of a class full of white students. I also would have wondered why African-Americans are the only ethnic group forced to read "classic" literature that uses such derogatory language toward us in a disturbingly repetitive way. - Boyce Watkins

I recently read an article written by Boyce Watkins on the CNN Website, addressing the censorship of Mark Twain's "The Adventures Huckleberry Finn". Apparently, Gribben and NewSouth Books will be substituting the N-word for the word "slave" in the new version of Huckleberry Finn.

Being an owner of a copy of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and also having been one that has experienced the uncomfortable feeling of being the only African-American youth in a predominately white student classrooms, where teachers and professors have facilitated class discussions on race in such a way that did not speak to me as a black child - I understand the significance of this discussion and argument as to whether or not it is effective or right to edit the N-word in this book. When I say "did not speak to me", in essence, I mean that instead of valuing the literature and gaining from the enlightenment of history or story, at times I had turned off my learning facilities and focused instead on how to get through a class without being so uncomfortable that I was forced to tears, notice stares, or leave the room.

I think that it's very different experience- being an African-American child in a classroom with others like you, and a teacher in front of the class that's also like you - A student may be able to take this writing as literature alone and gain perspective while benefiting from the support around them. Literature is a form of art, and essentially should be taken as art and not simply as a means to reflect on a time in history as a primary source of education.

Perhaps, the issue lies where educators realize their teaching environment and are able to discern what is appropriate, in whatever environment they are teaching in. How do teachers make students feel open to learning when content such as this is read in the classroom, whether the N-word is used or another is substituted?

What do you think?



Source

No comments:

Post a Comment